Monday, November 16, 2009

Painting...



I've actually started painting a couple of things.  I started on the paintings of these sketches.  It seems like I haven't painted anything in a while.  I think it's been like 3 weeks.  I have done some sketching in that time though.  ;)  Anyway, I started on the first one of this set.  She's "Serenity" and the second one is "Chaos."

I'm painting them on these small 5 x 7" panels of Ampersands Aquabord (or claybord textured).  It is the same thing I did my painting "Ocean of Sorrow" on.  I had these two extra panels left and I wanted to use them for something, though I now realize that I had forgotten how much I really didn't like painting on it.  I think the last time I used it, that since I ended up liking the end result, I sort of convinced myself that I liked working on it.  lol  Now I'm not really enjoying the experience so much.  With the way I use watercolors, it is really hard to get the shading smooth. When I look at Ocean of Sorrow now, I wonder how I managed to get it so smooth.  I'm not having nearly such luck this time.

When I paint with watercolors, I used a lot of layers to build up the colors to how dark I want them.  And I sometimes scrub in some texture with a dry brush and I blend with a damp brush, and this surface just doesn't work well for all that.  The color lifts off way too easily and ends up streaking like crazy!  I just don't have the patience for this, so I think I'm going to finish up what I've started with acrylics.  That should solve the problem.  :)  Then, so that the two paintings still seem a pair as I intended, I'll have to do "Chaos" in the same half watercolor/half acrylic method.  It should be interesting since it isn't something I've tried before.  :)

2 comments:

Jade Scarlett said...

I share your feelings about the Aquabord. I was all excited about it and then..nothing. I hate it with watercolors, I know what you mean about not being able to layer since that's how I work as well. Luckly, the few I had bought didn't go to waste after all, I sanded it till it was very smooth and I was able to work with colored pencils and even though it wasn't the greatest surface for cp, it worked way better than with the watercolors.

Looking forward to seeing your new paintings. I'm a big fan of your art. I still cherish the print I have of your painting. It's framed and it hangs in front of me in my studio.

hugs,
Jade

ElvenstarArt said...

Thank you very much, Jade! :)

I'm finished with one and a third done with the other, but I'm going to post them when they're both done. I don't think that I'll be getting anymore aquabord though, but I'm glad that I was at least able to use what I have.